Monday, January 18, 2016

Theme 01: Aneskia - Week 03

And life goes its way.

I wondered what to talk about this week. I'm still in the process of editing the texts related to Aneskia, and am about halfway done. I'm globally satisfied despite the fact some parts just sound so dull I put my own skills in doubt... until I realize there are actual books with parts I find oh so dull XD I guess it's just me. I think. I hope XD

So, anyway. What else can I say about Aneskia? Whatever I want, I guess XD

Aneskia: Origin Story

And by Origin Story I mean: how the character itself was created. I think this makes for interesting writing, too ^^

The one thing to keep in mind with my characters is that a vast majority of them were created during chatroom roleplays, early 2000's, over the course of about 5 years. Who they became, however, happened afterwards; as the friendship between myself and my roleplay partner fell into decay, I was faced with a horrible truth: everything we had created together, this friend had disposed of in one way or the other; in a way, they had disposed of me, for reasons I do not know (but suspect) to this day. And with this world I adored collapsing within my hands, I decided: this is my world now. Everything we built together, I kept; everything that was theirs, I disposed of (to put it honestly blunt). I stripped the world bare and rebuilt it. What few characters of theirs were of import to mine (namely, three), I scrapped, deleted from the world's existence, and gave new form - with even my most change-adverse character accepting to, at long last, allow this change to take place.

And, since then, I've been working on growing and nurturing this world that is now solely mine. Little remains of what once was except bare bones I piled together and fleshened. Only one replacement character's story remained almost entirely the same as what my friend and I built together (they'd probably be surprised by which one XD). And I mention all of this because, as much as hatred has blinded this person's eyes to the reality of who I am, just as much am I grateful they were ever in my life, or I wouldn't have these characters, this world, and this happiness in my life. Because I love these characters, old and new alike, and this world that makes sense in my mind, and everything else I create and add to it. They are no longer what they used to be... and that fills me with even more joy and excitement.

This said, let's get into Aneskia's story.

The Syrilae like herself I created perhaps 13 or so years ago. I don't remember why, or how; I do remember this was tied in with my main roleplay character of that time, Kassandra's, history. So I created this little village hidden in a forest and surrounded by a circle of crystal trees I one day dubbed the Aberviohn, which are semi-sentient entities that protect the village's borders from all that is violent and dangerous. What I did scrap was the church and the Dragon named Freesia XD but I kept certain characters, like Ansai Neftyl (later aptly renamed Nefahtil), Christopher (lately aptly renamed Kristofa (yes, it's supposed to totally sound the same XD)), and a little girl named Aneskia (whose name remained, yay :D). Little Nessy's power was that of empathy - feeling what other people felt. And, after our characters spending some time in that village for whatever reason we'd figured XD, that was it.

Skip to a few years ago, when the friendship ended and the world was collapsing in my hands. I'd been working on understanding the Syrilae for years. I made sense of a lot of things - how the Ansai legacy works, how it relates to Kassandra and her son, what the Aberviohn are, down to the very history of the Syrilae race itself, which spans thousands of years. When the world was collapsing, the Syrilae - my own original race - were what made me say to myself: I don't want to lose everything I created. And after blowing up the bridges with that friend, I started slowly working on a story that could take place in that world. Piece by piece, I replaced everything that was not mine, lastly being the character Isaru replaces - the one character I never thought I could ever replace, as its companion had always adamantly refused to allow his history to be altered in any way (yes, I've got that sort of character in my head << ). This change occurred after one extremely vicious message from that former friend; as though the character sensed my heartbreak and pain and finally, uncharacteristically it must be said, realized this change had to take place; that it was a just change.

This character, whom I will extensively write about sometime this year, is one of great import to me. He has been with me for close to 15 years. His stoic strength has helped me cope with depression and become a stronger individual. Like all of my characters have, in some way; even the worse ones. And it is in Aneskia that I found a different kind of strength: one of tolerance, of kindness. Of love. And it is why, as I searched for a main protagonist for my story TAoS, I chose her. Because she possesses qualities I find needed in our world in decay. Because I want her to be a beacon of hope and even stupidity by believing in the goodness of people when all around her will have their own opinions, their own voices, and their own violence to project onto this fragile child of the forest.

And so have I kept working on Aneskia's history. So have I written out her mother's story, and that of another age-old character, Kristofa, who has become just as important an aspect of her life (and others' lives, but that's information for later). Aneskia evolved from a (figuratively and literally) little girl with no knowledge whatsoever of the outside girl to a mature child with too clear an understanding of emotional strength and distress - not making her an emotionally mature child, however. She understands, she tries to cope, but doesn't always manage. And as TAoS starts, so does her life basically end - and begin anew, with uncertainty, with great sorrow and the frame of a new friendship that will prove invaluable in her quest for understanding.

Because understanding is what Aneskia is all about. She thirsts for knowledge; for comprehension of the world around her. Of the people around her. Her quest will lead her to the edge of darkness; even to the edge of her own sanity. She will discover a world far different from the quiet life she led in her village, where the Aberviohn were there to protect their children: in the harsh outside world, no one cares. No one protects. Well, almost no one... but even the protectors are shrouded in life's darkness and pain. And she, little ray of light, is going to try and make sense of it all.

And with this I've said a lot XD I used to think Aneskia was too frail, even too boring a character to serve as a protagonist for this story. But, as I learned more about the world and about her, I realize she's the only choice I've got. She's far stronger than I knew at first, but I cannot say whether this strength will suffice to face what lies ahead (also, because I'm just not gonna give the plot away XD). What I can say is that emotions will play a great part in this story. As that is what I want. What I need. And I'm trying to wrap it all in succulent candy to be licked to death and beyond and enjoyed XD

And now I'm gonna go and do some more editing. When I get to uploading writing to my site, I'll let you know XD

No comments:

Post a Comment