Sunday, August 21, 2016

Theme 09: Aeva - Week 1

Doesn't happen often that I get so fed up with someone I simply block them - in fact, it hasn't happened in my 'more mature' years, and the list of FB blocked people was 3 people long - one dating back 5 years ago, another from about that same time, and a third who was spam. I think.
Yet today I had to block someone again. It's a weird feeling for someone who's all about trying to make people understand my points and discuss problems... but what do you do with someone who simply. Refuses. To. Listen. There's so much to say, so much negative, that I'm gonna stop myself right here. I don't like giving up on people since it goes again my need to be helpful - at the same time, that exact need is unhealthy. At some point, you have to be capable of saying enough is enough, and to move on.

It's an important lesson to learn when you like to help people: sometimes, you just can't. Sometimes, only mistakes can make a person learn and grow, and this growth will have to happen beyond your control. I noticed I was starting to take over that person's bad habits, which is really weird for me since I'd though I'd stopped being a sponge... Apparently not. So, lesson learned.

Moving on! Had some trouble determining which character I was going to talk about next, and I figured since we're still in Malmern, why not stay there. So I picked one that'll be fun to talk about because I get to introduce another race :D...

Aeva

New pic ftw! :D

Who is Aeva?

Aeva was born somewhere around Midri, one of the three towns surrounding Malmern. Midri is home to many an alchemist and experiment, to shady dealers and dealings, and the Elvin town most socially apt Wyr call home.

Aeva is one of the Wyr race; the Wyr are majoritarily Human-looking beastshifters. Called werewolves and werewairs in olden times when the Wyr and the Vampires waged a long-fought war in the shadows, the Wyr are not the bloodthirsty beasts some Humans depicted them as. The Wyr are both Human and animal; most are either wolf, wair or bear, with matching personalities - wolves are social loners, wairs territorial and caring, and bears strong and cunning. They are neither bloodthirsty nor primitive, and Aeva is an excellent example of the Wyr's intellect.

Aeva herself was born wolf, raised wolf, and taught by a paranoid father to use her 'Human half' only to avoid detection. She was still young when he attacked Midrins and was caught, hung in Midri's outskirts by a hind paw, and skinned alive. Wolf Aeva saw this with her very own eyes, frightening her into her Human form... but her eyes never reverted from their animalistic yellow shine, making her stand out immediately in a crowd. An alchemist found her and decided to keep her - in the beginning as a pet, later on as a full-fledged apprentice with unfortunately little understanding of the craft... but give her tools, and she could fix his apparatuses with relative ease.

This interest in machinery is what led Aeva to one day attend the Dogren festival in Malmern - a grand festival where the Dogren, a race of Humanoid mountain people seemingly carved our of rock itself, showcase their inventions and grant the most interesting of requests made by the Malmernian. There she ran into racist Honorary who stirred up trouble, and Aeva turned wolf and attacked one of them... leading her to be arrested and thrown in jail, where she would have awaited an inevitable death sentence for being a 'threat to society' (a laughable notion to be sure, but one the Malmernian would eat up in those dire times), were it not for one Elvin woman who saw past appearances and decided to not only release her, but offer her the opportunity to become one of many hands of justice...


Aeva and the novel

Aeva's role is as of yet undefined; she is still in construction phase, so I've yet to discover the depths of her personality. She, like Devon, will play a part in the protection of Malmern's innocents, and I have sensed already that they won't get all too well along (I've speculated that he has been in the thick of the Vampire/Wyr war in the past, and that he's seen enough of the Wyr to feel uncomfortable (and I'm sure there are more personal reasons but he's telling me to leave him alone << XD)).

Aeva has no qualms with anyone, even not with the people who do her harm. She does not hate, nor does she judge by appearances alone. This makes her an invaluable asset in the grand scheme of things, as she may be one of few voices who will take Aneskia's defense once the going gets rough and events start piling up. She does believe in the greater good but to a certain degree - she will always try and see beyond the obvious, to think of all possible ramifications, quite as her master has taught her with alchemy: never stop at what you know, even if the unknown may kill you.

I haven't said much about her involvement in the story huh XD still working on it... but I wanted to present the Wyr, who are basically my take on werewolves :) kind of happened naturally, as I already had a Wyr years ago, but I just didn't know it yet. In those days I just called him a gargoyle and thought: hey, shapeshifting, cooooool XD defining the Wyr happened as I started working on the world's history, and discovered certain events that happened tens of thousands of years ago. ^^

And that is all. For now. << XD

No comments:

Post a Comment