Sunday, May 8, 2016

Theme 05: Kristofa - Week 2

I just got done hosting a chat over at Projectcomment... DEAR GOD THE ANARCHY. But it was fun. Challenging, grueling at times for the slow typer I am, but fun nonetheless. I learned a few things about group management and accurate planning. ... I swear I'll do better next time << XD but, it was my first time hosting such an event! And it looks like I had the easier half XD; when I left, the chatroom was PACKED. Crazy packed. I think, for next time, I'll put a list of people in order of critiquing in the topic. So that everyone can tell who's next; it'll create less confusion, and people will know how long a waiting time they might have ahead of them. *nod*

Thing is, I didn't have so good a day today. Don't get me wrong: I had a good day having parents and parents-in-law at home to celebrate mother's day. But, I've been depressed all day. Truly depressed, not just blue. At some point, I just wanted to go in a corner and cry and be left the hell alone. I think mother's day got to me today. Because, heck, I'm not one yet, and it seems even less likely, with each passing month, that I ever will be. Added on top of workstress (and hormones starting to kick in e.e), I just want not to exist for a while. Probably why I'm not updating my work calendar, or any calendar for that matter: at this moment, and for the foreseeable future, I don't want to exist. Not to understand I want to die or anything silly like that - no, I just want to be forgotten for a while, left to my own devices, and allowed some ties-less, wings-spreading time on my own. I'm losing sight of me; I can't find me while others are looking for her as well. She's only going to come out if I'm the only one looking for/after her. It's a really strange feeling. A crazy-sounding feeling I expect << especially if I mention it feels like having a crying teen within yourself that's slamming doors shut and screaming at people to get/keep out XD
Uh, yeah. Don't mind me/us. It'll pass. Likely as soon as I get to quit my job, which is still several months away. Sigh.

Well. Let's not dwell on that for now. How about some writing? Yes, some super-duper awesome writing << and as we are on Kristofa's second week, I'll share a chapter of his life ^^

And I chose a sweet moment between estranged friends that gives a glimpse into Kristofa's mind, and heart. Enjoy :)




The nights which Kristofa spent at Niskania's side were usually far more soothing than the nights of solitude. When he was away chasing women, she missed him. Missed his company, missed his warmth, but always remembered that to be a fullblood child is akin to  perpetual suffering.
After their reconciliation, Niskania had promised Kristofa to try and turn her thoughts around. This had proved far more difficult than hoped. The nightmares still assaulted her nightly, still ran through her mind like red rivers along bone and decay.
One night, as a particularly violent dream startled her awake, she happened to catch the fleeting rustle of vines. She rose and walked to the central room, and was surprised to see Kristofa appear through the haze of her lethargy.
"Ah, you're awake!" he exclaimed, "Excellent! Come with me, I have to show you something!"
"Now ?" she retorted, repressing a yawn, "you know I need to sleep…"
"I know," he grinned, "but now is when you can see them. Come on, I'll carry you, but you have to come."
Still half-slumbering, Niskania retorted with a glare – and gasped as Kristofa literally swept her off her feet carried her out of the house. She demanded several times that he put her down, and he only complied when he eventually, someplace in the Ghostlight Forest, ran out of breath. Even then he grabbed her hand and guided her further away from the village.
Niskania started to panic. She trusted Kristofa, even more since she'd accepted the difficult fact that he'd never meant to hurt her when bringing women home; but she feared the outside world so profoundly that she never set foot outside the protective circle of the Aberviohn. This forest was dark and lightless and uninviting. Several times she stumbled, and Kristofa always caught her. He knew the path towards the town of Farren by heart, and his power allowed him to sense the presence of trees, branches and roots and all the living beings of the nearby grounds.
After a long walk they reached the forest's edge. Faint light poured in through the numerous trees and illuminated their path; and Kristofa forked away from it.
"No Humans for you tonight," he said when she inquired, "I was thinking of something much more enjoyable."
"Kris…?"
"I already said you can do better than me," he grinned, her tone having spoken volumes, "you really need to get over me, Nissa. Na, you'll understand when you see them."
They emerged at a distance from the town of Farren, on a desolate part of dirtroad. There was nothing to see save for the deep blackness of night, and she wondered what he was trying to prove.
"Look up," he said, and Niskania complied. She was struck numb.
Within her eyes' blue darkness, the stars above reflected like small galaxies confined. She gasped and stared and, for a beautiful while, forgot all about fatigue, sorrow and demise.
"It took me a while to figure it out," Kristofa said, a large smile on his face, "those lights you mentioned before, they're what Humans call 'stars'.
"Maybe," he continued, "now that you've seen them with your own eyes, you'll be able to dream about them more often."

She said nothing the entire night. Watched, in awestruck stupor, how the stars shimmered until the break of fiery dawn and drowned within its otherworldly glow. She would fall asleep on Kristofa's lap, with a large smile on her tired face.
He knew she was happy, and he was happy for her. Whether this escapade would help her dream in peace was anyone's guess – but, at least, he'd tried to help her, the only way he knew how to.
He stroked her hair for a while, wondering whether their lives would have been better had she never turned him away when they were young. Chances were slim, though, as he found Syrilae women not quite so attractive as Human women, who came in such varying shapes and sizes that each one he chose was nigh a work of art unto herself. He'd have cheated on Niskania, eventually, and this knowledge felt like a sword driven through his heart.
He did love her; but not the way she deserved, or needed.


As Niskania's friend, he swore to himself never to betray her trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment