Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Belated wishes and small hiatus


Seasons' greetings y'all!

As you may have noticed, there was no Special this past Sunday (because christmas), and there won't be one next Sunday either. The Specials will resume on January 7th.

In the meantime, I'm still severely struggling with insomnia, to the point I decided to just give up for tonight after spending the last two hours tossing and turning - and thinking. I can't sleep. And I seem to recall having a similar issue last year, so my guess is this is the time of year for me where 3 AM at the soonest is my bedtime.

But the attempted sleep wasn't in vain. So though there's no Special these couple of weeks, have a couple of fun Aeyuu facts instead that came to me in between two Fates thoughts :D

- Syrilae, and perhaps other spellcasters on Aeyuu, have two hearts. The primary heart is like ours, though located lower in their chests; the secondary one is more like a tiny ball located along the upper main artery. This heart is what powers their magic.

I haven't quite figured out everything yet, but I know when a thought feels this right it means it is right. I see this secondary heart activate when using/powering up magic, which essentially means (I think) that they physical functions and magical abilities aren't interdependent - even though their magic does get cast through their hands (logic there, I assume, is because this heart is closest to the hands, but with practice one may be able to learn to control what appendage magic come from. Maybe even as a breath. That'd be cool. *.*)

As a note, Syrilae blood itself consists of magic in part. So do their bodies. So I guess it makes sense that such creatures would require additional organs to function properly. Pretty sure the secondary heart also plays a part in digestion. But I'll have to figuratively dissect someone to figure all of that out.

- There are a lot of different metals on Aeyuu; some are common to other worlds, even our own, such as steel and gold (called aur). Others are unique to that world - one of which is basically a sort of flint-like ore that can be refined into metal as well as gems.

This ore is called gernate. As the name sort of suggests, this is a reddish rock, mined mostly in the Human lands. It doesn't look much different from iron ore, but has a different consistence. When heated to a certain degree, it'll melt and can be used in conjunction with steel ore (a name I might still change but I picked 'steel' to mark the fact it doesn't rust like iron) to create weapons and other items. If left to harden on its own, gernate will gain a certain transparency and basically become a red gem (imagine translucent jasper). But gernate ore on its own has an interesting attribute not found in other minerals: when scraping it with for instance a knife, it will create red-hot sparks that, yes, can and will cause fires.

I haven't thought yet of all its uses, but one of 'em is the invention of lighters and lanterns that are self-sufficient. Real gernate is pricey, so most common-use items are made of a synthetic gernate ore created by alchemists. Still gotta think of how they did that, but then I feel like there's still a lot of natural mysteries and utilities I should be thinking about. Oh and I'm now pretty sure gernate ore is used in the guns the Humans will manage to manufacture eventually.

Or how to 'other-world' items and stuff found in our own world XD

Pretty sure I'll be thinking about more things, but that's for the current random ideas. I've been missing my favourite world :) next year it'll return more on the forefront of things - right after I finish writing Fates. As it stands, I have a professional editor hired for Fates, meaning it'll get self-published sometime in 2018. And if all goes well, The Age of Silence's first draft will get written too.

For now, I can but hope my sleep schedule will become more normal again, because my brain is about dead. XD

Happy holidays everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment