Monday, September 12, 2016

Theme 09: Aeva - Week 4

Finally caught up on ProjectComment's comments, still have a journal and a note to reply to... Been pretty depressed this weekend due to a job interview not succeeding for no apparent reason. When a fellow candidate tells you the winner may have already been picked even before you do the interview, and after a basically perfect interview you're 'not selected' to go to the next round, you've got reasons to wonder whether the person was right. I've heard more than once that certain exams are just there for legal reasons and not to find candidates. Added to the fact I got the distinct feeling one of the jury really didn't like me (and I don't even know them!), it makes me wonder. I can call tomorrow for more information, and even though I just want to close that chapter today, I think asking for a reason is pretty valid on my part.

The upside of this is that my mind is more and more focusing on what I should really be doing with my outside life. Ideally I'd like to find a job that allows me to work with depressed teens. Why? Because I was a depressed teen; I'm 35 now, constantly blooming further; and it literally hurts/drives me mad whenever there's news of a teen committing suicide because of bullying/reasons. But especially bullying. I have no idea how to even find such a job - what I do have though is lots and lots of experience getting back up the hole. I think that even seeing a person like me, to make them understand there's life beyond the darkness that can be school and that a beautiful life can be waiting for you, is something necessary when you realize bullying is a rampant disease. I don't want to be stuck at a desk; I need to make a difference. That's what that experience is all about.

This said, Today I should be going to get my official driver's license << I seriously can't wait to have that itty bit of plastic. TOTAL ACHIEVEMENT.

And now, for week 4 of Aeva.

And I have no idea what to share. Seriously. I've got nothing more. I really need to get more written about Aeva, but I've been working on another part of the world <<

So I thought I'd say a little more about the Wyr.

As mentioned, there are three great types of Wyr: the wairs (large felines), the bears, and the wolves. Few and far between are anomalies such as Eglen, which I think is related to the fact that Elven blood, especially Elshir, reacts differently to the presence of what I shall call the 'Wyr gene'. Most, if not all Wyr are Humans. Within this race there are still distinctions: some are more beast than man, and vice versa. The beast-like Wyr have lived in the Malmernian country for ages, long before it was ever colonized by Elves fleeing the growing Empire's laws on magic and otherness; the Human-like Wyr spent their days amid Humans, some (but few) of which remaining still in the Empire. They are the ones who would hide and protect Elves and other non-Humans and know how to conceal them (and themselves) from the wairs used by certain patrols to snif out non-Humans.

Before getting to this point though, the Empire was often overruled by Vampires.

During a few centuries, there was a literal plague of Vampirism breaking out. Each city, even each village, harboured at least one Vampire. Unlike what many thought, not all Vampires were mindless killers; in fact, many were decent citizens. Though they do require fresh blood in order to ensure their longevity, Vampires can easily subsist on any type of meal they find enjoyable. They'll be easy to spot should they broadly smile (incisors and lateral incisors sharpen during the transition), but are otherwise far more Human-like than the collected Wyr, who stand out due to their lack of (strong) emotions.

Not all Vampires were nice people though. Some, curious of the Wyr power, decided it would be interesting to try and drain the Wyr to obtain their shapeshifting abilities. This resulted in monstrousities, and in a war between Wyr and Vampires waged on Humans grounds.

The Wyr were not keen on battling Vampires, but they would protect themselves to the death. During this long-lasting war that terrorized the Empire, certain Vampires rose about their brethren to protect both the Wyr and the Humans, and try and return a semblance of normalcy to their homes. Despite these noble goals, Vampires were still seen as monsters, as murderers, and killed no matter what side they were on. In time the Vampire population dwindled. The Wyr did not forget those who had aided them, and still provided shelter for those Vampires whom they sensed were no threat to anyone beyond their natural survival requirements.

The beast Wyr of Malmern had it far easier. They lived as animals, in a barren place rife with life for those, like themselves, who knew how to find it. During the civil war opposing two of the Empire's races, the Humans and outnumbered Elves, said Elves fled to Malmernian and colonized the barren lands to create a country where they could live free, and in harmony with all other races. In time the beast Wyr of Malmernian started walking the capital, Malmern's streets... and involve themselves in the workings of this city that they would see become corrupted by greed - a greed they would make use of. Though not in charge of politics in any way, the Malmernian Wyr have found ways to influence the politics of the city without making themselves known. Few know of their presence - and most who know of them, such as other Wyr like Aeva, see no reason as to why to divulge their presence. Though Aeva doesn't agree with all of their practices, some which she deems 'too Human'. As some Vampires are more man than monsters, so are some Wyr more cruel than survivalists.

And that is all for the Wyr aspect of things... Next week I'll dive into the other racial half of this explanation ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment